St Mary’s have been working hard to create a Sensory/ Prayer Garden. It is located at the bottom of the Key Stage 1 playground. Within the garden there are various areas.
- A sensory carpet with various textures for children to touch
- Sensory items to look at e.g. mirrors, colour changers
- Flower beds with different plants with different smells to awaken the children s senses e.g. lavender
- A wild area, where plants will flourish and wildlife will be encouraged to come and visit
- Benches for the children to sit and relax on
- A cross for them to look at whilst praying, reflecting and relaxing
- A large flower bed for the children to develop their gardening skills and grow produce to use in cooking
We have been environmentally friendly and use reclaimed wood, old pallets and old tyres wherever possible.
We held an opening ceremony for our garden where Mrs Forshaw led us in prayer alongside the pupil chaplains. George (Y6) then cut the ribbon to officially open the garden. The following day Father Martin and children from across the school were also part of a special blessing ceremony.
We hope you enjoy looking at the photos and feel free to visit our garden whenever you would like.